Skip to main content

Kansas and Oklahoma Road Trip

One thing is for certain is that traffic does not exist in Kansas or Oklahoma.  Not even during the Labor Day Weekend.

Michelle and I took Friday off so we could do a short road trip (750 miles one way is considered short for us) through Kansas and to Tulsa, OK.

Michelle plotted a few interesting things to see in both states.

Kansas:  Monument Rock (yes, a rock), Strataca Salt Mine and the Keeper of the Plains in Wichita.

Oklahoma:  A waterfall and the Philbrook Museum of Art.

We got off of the interstate for Monument Rock and the road immediately turned into a dirt road.  Drive twenty miles, make a left.  Drive six more miles, make a right.  Drive twelve more miles, make a right.  This went on for a bit but we eventually got there.  We pulled in the parking area and nobody else was present.  Sign of good things to come.

The sun wasn't out and but we had some cool clouds for the most part.

I will have to say that Monument Rock was really cool.  In the middle of nowhere, surrounded by cows and grasshoppers.  I have a crap ton of grasshoppers still stuck in the front grill of the RAV4.  Big ass grasshoppers.  Not those little bastards.

I should probably mention that I crashed the drone.  I only broke off a couple of propellers (I have quite a few spares).  The footage I got was actually pretty good.  Just finished processing my pictures in Lightroom and posted them to SmugMug.  It will be another week or so before I edit the footage.





After spending almost a couple of hours fucking around, we got back in the car and headed towards Wichita.  The goal was to get to the Strataca Salt Mine in the afternoon.  We doubted that we would make it in time but we were optimistic.

Oh shit...the dreaded "brown sign".  This sign read "Fort Hay - 20 Miles".  We still got time.

The parking lot was empty.  Too cool.

The person on duty was really nice.  He walked us around the museum and gave us some useful information before setting us down to watch a video about the US Army and Indian Conflict.  We fucked the Indians over big time.  I already knew this but it is always good to remind people how bad we treated the Native Americans.  No excuse really.





By the time we finally left we knew damn well that we wouldn't make it to the Salt Mine.  We still had a good four hour drive ahead of us.  We felt it best to head on out to Wichita, have dinner and get a good nights sleep.  The Salt Mine is only a thirty minute drive from our hotel.

Did someone say BBQ?

Michelle had a hankering for some slow cooked swine.  Me too...

We checked in to the hotel and after a little searching on Google we found a restaurant called B&C Bar-B-Q in Wichita.  Cool.  Cool beer (and food) sounded really good about now.

Back in the car...

We arrived at the restaurant and once again...nobody there except for a couple of couples.  Is that the right way to say that?  Maybe I should have said a few people that appear to be bed buddies.  

I ordered the ribs.  I rarely order ribs because mine are so good.  Michelle ordered the pulled pork.  The ice cold beer was was served first so I had to nurse it so I could enjoy it with my ribs.  The main entrees followed a couple of minutes later.

We both ordered the garlic coleslaw and mac 'n cheese.  DAMN, they should have just called it garlic with a hint of coleslaw.  Good...but damn.

The ribs were awesome and Michelle really enjoyed the pork.



Totally full now.  No dessert.  Bad dog.

Back to the hotel.  Been on the road all day.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California, Arizona & Back Again

 Well, Israel is a bust this year too... Time to visit the family via a road trip. We figure it will take two days of driving to reach California.  Of course we will make planned stops along the way. First stop, Antelope Valley State Park in Utah.  Only a hour drive from Salt Lake City. From Top to Bottom: Buffalo Wide Angle Shot of the Lake Infrared Photo of the Plains Infrared Photo of the Lake We spent a lot of time there shooting the buffalos (with cameras) but we were loosing light fast.  Major flying insect invasion.  Sounded like rain when driving. Next stop, Bonneville Salt Flats, UT Not much to say here other than it is fun as fuck to drive at 110 mph here. Back in the car and headed out to the Bay Area.  We decided to stay in Suisun City for the first two nights so we could visit with mom before heading out to the Wine Country. The Hampton Inn in Suisun City (infrared photo) After we visited with mom, we headed out to our next adventure, Safari We...

Outstanding Food & Beverage

Due to complications (on Travis’ part) we got a late start on our departure to the restaurant but we still made our reservation. When we arrived, we were greeted by an absolutely beautiful hostess (that was your first hint Travis, stay in school and attend CU) who gave us the option to enjoy our meal on the outside patio. After a few twists and turns through the restaurant, we walked out onto the patio. The seating was a little cramped but the ambiance was nice. Our waiter, Doug (not his real name) promptly greeted us and provided us with the dinner, tapas and beverage menus. After perusing the many selections of wine, I ordered a lager from a local a local brewery. The selection was made from the “Bottled Beer” section but the beer was delivered in a can. Hmmm, I most likely wouldn’t have ordered it knowing it was in a can as the aluminum typically changes the physical characteristics of the hops and alcohol bringing on a metallic taste which forces the tastebuds to go into panic...

Now We Wait….

I guess that we were a little anxious this morning. We set the alarm for 5am but we woke up at 4:30 and decided to get up. A few cups of coffee later and we were ready to leave. We took showers and double/triple checked the bags ensuring that we had everything we need. After placing the MacBooks in the backpack the true weight was realized. Due to the morning traffic, we took the toll road (E-470). We made it to the DIA in under 30 minutes but ended up in the wrong arrival lane (as opposed to departure) and drove around the airport aimlessly. Poor Travis. He has no idea how to get out of here. I gave him $3 for parking and sent him on his way. Within a half hour Travis posted that he has our house to himself while we are gone. You would think that he would wait until we were out of the country before he posted that. I quickly sent him a response to his post. We are at the departure gate waiting for our plane to land. The flight is on time and we (should) be boarding within ...